• Previous item
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Next item

Trek 6300 Series

software

3D Studio Max, Vray, Premiere, After Effects

This fictional promo clip was made by Jeroen and me as our final project for Video Production. At the beginning we had a completely other project in mind, we first wanted to make a video clip for a young Spanish talent called C-System; the script was done, the location for the footage was okay, same for storyboard but we sadly couldn't found (free) actors :-( . And with only 20 days before the deadline we had to start all over again with a new idea so we came up with the idea of a promo clip for Jeroen's bike.

The footage was supposed to be shot in two different locations, one in a local forest and one on the field you can see in the movie. We first went to the woods with the camera and bike, everything was ready to shoot some splendid (sport / extreme) footage, until the humidity played it's role in the game... The camera suffered from moisture condensation on the playhead, which gave us a beautiful warning "Moisture Condensation - Eject Tape", so no forest footage possible :-(

So we canceled that part and went to a mountain bike field were there was less humidity so everything went well (except I've felt on my head :-D). Then getting the HD footage from tape to computer was also the most irritating thing in the world, sadly we only found a way to capture the footage in 720 instead of 1080 resolution, which is off course a big lost

of quality but I think that camera was not working correctly.
While Jeroen started on video effects I began with the modeling of the bike itself in subdivision modeling the closest as possible from the original, piece by piece till the bike was complete which took me about 15 days.

Then the fun part had to start, the rendering. With almost 500 frames to render and only one night left before the deadline, we immediately saw this would be a hot (working) night and we tried to find as much computers as possible to render (we even installed a max trial on one of them).
When the frames were rendered and compositing was finished we added (I know, that's a bad thing) the sound. We knew from the beginning we going to take Goose - Check as soundtrack but we were supposed to still cut some scene's to match the soundtrack. Believe it or not but I import the final render in Adobe Audition, imported the soundtrack and it was just perfect, I had nothing to do. Looks like the gods were with us that night.

So that's the "short" story of this project, I'm very proud of the result we achieved on this one (with a little minus for the footage quality but that's due to the camera) and so were our teachers too.